2 Year Blog Anniversary - Guest Post - Margaret From Bleach House Library

Friday 31 October 2014


The lovely Margaret from Bleach House Library has wrote a guest post about mystery and thrillers. Margaret writes book reviews on Bleach House Library and several other blog/websites as well.





You can connect with Margaret at:-



The thrill of a thriller…….

I can almost pinpoint the day that I fell in love with thrillers.  It was a Saturday afternoon and I had just purchased my first Nancy Drew book.   I think I was about ten years old and had outgrown Enid Blyton.  My mother had driven me to the nearest book shop and after much deliberation, it was decided that I was old enough to try a mystery book.  Well,  I think my mother was sorry she agreed to this, as I became addicted and demanded the full collection.  Checking online, for this article, I discovered that there were actually 175 titles.  The first one, The Secret of the Old Clock, was published in 1930 and was followed by 63 more hardbacks.  Then the rights were sold on, and the remaining books were published as paperbacks.  It is these versions that I collected and I can still remember the covers,  the excitement of getting the next in the series, and the satisfaction when I could solve the mystery before the end of the book.
Fast forward many years, and I am still reading mysteries, although the more grown up term is thriller.  I have a love of crime thrillers and, even to this day, try to solve the crime before the protagonist.  I am often heard mumbling that I could have been a sharp and alert Detective, or a skilled and articulate investigator.  Sometimes I even think I could commit the perfect crime.  These are very sweeping statements, indeed. But after 175 Nancy Drew titles, who wouldn't feel they were ready for the real world?

Margaret Madden
Crime-Buster Extraordinaire 

3 comments

  1. Thanks so much for having me on your blog! Happy Blogiversary and keep up the good work ;)
    Love from Ireland.
    Margaret xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post, I loved reading it. I also really like mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mysteries but not thrillers. I forgot about the Nancy drew books x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! Leave a link and I will be sure to visit your site, too!