'Christmas Reads' - Review of The Christmas Killer by Alex Pine

Wednesday 23 November 2022

 

 
Publiccation Date: 29th October 2020
Publisher: Avon
Genre: Crime, Thriller, Fiction
Pages: 400
Format: eBook
Source: Netgalley
 
Buy Links: Amazon UK / Amazon US
 
About The Book
 
 As the snow begins to fall, the body count begins to climb…

DI James Walker is ready for a quiet family Christmas in the sleepy village of Kirkby Abbey.

But when he opens an early Christmas present left on his doorstep, he soon realises it is no gift. Inside is a gruesome surprise, and a promise – twelve days, twelve murders. Not long after, the first body is found, half frozen in the snow.

As the blizzards descend, panic spreads through the remote Cumbrian village – there’s a killer amongst them, and with eleven more victims to go, anyone could be next….

Can James stop the killer before they strike again?
 
My Review
 When I saw The Christmas Killer book on Netgalley, I will admit that the thing which drew me to the book was the snow globe on the front of the book. As anyone who knows me will know, I love snow globes. Have too many of them and not a lot of space, so when I saw the front cover I had to have a look as a book which had a snow globe on the front would be perfect to add to my collection. 
 
Having read the blurb I thought I would try to be approved for the book as it seems like an amazing debut novel from a up and coming author in the crime fiction genre. When I got the email to say I had been approved I was more than thrilling, I started to read it and got entralled in the story before the first chapter was finished. 
 
DCI James Walker has had an amazing career working on high profile cases and dealing with dangerous criminals so when he has to move to a small town to protect himself and his family, he isn't sure what to make of the new pace but figures he just needs time to adjust. Though he never expected what happened next. 
 
When the first victim is found and he recieves a Christmas card, he didn't anticapate the events which would unfold over the course of the investigation or how much it would change him as a person. Being an outsider it hard enough, add in the fact that he has to chase a killer in his new town added more pressure. 
 
Living in a small town in Cumbria, everyone seems to know everyone's business, so it is harder to tell who is telling the truth and what is gossip from people who have nothing better to do. Through the twists and turns as well as shocking revelations and drama it had me on the edge of my seat until the very end. As soon as I finished it I couldn't wait to read the next one in the series. 
 
There is so many things I loved about The Christmas Killer, I loved the little town from the description I could picture it in my head which made for the reading about it even more enjoyable. The relationship between James and Anne, it is was so sweet and heartwarming to read. Plus the take on the 12 days of Christmas was brilliant in regards to how the victims were chosen was unique. 
 
I can't wait to read what Alex writes next as I know I will be adding it to my TBR list.
 
If I had to sum up this book in three words, they would be Thrilling, Exciting and Amazing!
 
Another day, another book,

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! Leave a link and I will be sure to visit your site, too!